Sunday, June 20, 2010

The circle of life

Carolyn, Sabina and Nick. On vacation in Wyoming in 1995



I came to NY as an au pair. I decided to be an au pair for a number of reasons.

1.  I went to work one day and looked at all the old ladies in the office and panicked. I loved my job but I was 22 and the thought of being there until retirement terrified me. So I got the urge to run which is hilarious as anyone who knows me, knows that I don't run anywhere! I sort of walk slowly at best.
2. I had traveled a lot and loved it. I had been to America 3 or 4 times. I had traveled the west coast and Florida but something about NY or Boston was appealing.
3. I had broken up with my boyfriend of 6 years. I was down in the dumps one minute and excited to exercise my freedoms the next. OK, so crossing the pond was a little extreme but did you ever know me to do any thing by half measures??? 
4. I didn't really know what I wanted to do with my life, so I decided to take a year out to try and figure it out. I had done a lot of babysitting and liked kids so, why not? I was only going to be gone a year. Right?

When the au pairs I work with tell me that they have the best host family in the world, I smile and shake my head and tell them  " No you don't, I have the best host family in the world"  Of course I am thrilled that my au pairs love their families and my hope for them is that they have an amazing year, just like I did.

I was supposed to be here a year and yet here I am sixteen years later. So, I have had the joy of seeing my host children grow up. Every time I see them I am blown away at how beautiful/handsome, tall and smart they are.

I am also reminded of how old I am and how quickly time passes. I went to Nick's graduation party tonight. Nick is 18 and graduating high school and will go off to college in the fall. Carolyn will turn 21 in a couple of weeks. Sometimes Carolyn babysits my kids. That always makes me smile and ... I guess this is what they call  'The circle of life'.  She is just one year shy of the age I was when I came to be her au pair.
They told me tonight that they read my blog, I had no idea but I hope they read this post.

Dear Carolyn & Nick, I want to let you know how much  I love you guys. Your parents opened up their home and hearts to me and changed my life forever and for that I am eternally grateful.  I am so proud of you both and hope you know just how important you all are to me and my family.

With love now and forever. From your first au pair Sabina.


                                                       Sabina, Nick & Carolyn 2010

10 comments:

  1. Wow how time flys. I too have been here 14 years and the little boy i looks after back then just Graduated from high school. I had a great year as an au-pair and had a great family.Congrats Nick & good luck in collage

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe how grown up Carolyn and Nick look! I still picture them in the first photo and remember when they made me a poster welcoming me to NY the first time I came to visit you, I've still got it somewhere.
    Your host family are cool as not only did they welcome you, but also your family - I loved coming over to visit.
    And you weren't wrong about walking slowly.... you'll start going backwards if you're not careful! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It made me cry!!!!!Great things like this just happen when YOU are a great person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still keep in touch my 'my' kids too and one of them just made me a Grandma!~ Also Sabina, this was an idea for a blog post for me - obviously my own story - so I hope you don't think I'm stealing when I write it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wOW!! thats really good poSt! and i havent had alot of time speaking with u sabina but since the first time we see you ur always happy and giving us support and help in whatever u need!! no wonder does kids love you!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a wonderful post and I loved it...
    It is great that you are still here and that you are my LCC now... I feel you cuz your story sounds so familiar to me and who knows where time will lead me... hugs, Manu

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post Sabina! This is touching and lovely. I tell my au pair all the time to get ready for my daughter to come over in about 15 years for a quality summer caring for her future German children.....(she is one now and it seems that 16 would be a good age to send her when she is at the height of her teenage angst.) The circle of life it is and it is incredible. What would we do without the au pair program?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Sabina, that's wonderful. I'm in tears now and all those words about a certain host family are so true. I really couldn't have said it better myself. I too was just thinking about how Carolyn is coming up to the age when I was over. It seems like a lifetime ago! Anyway, just wanted you to know I echo your thoughts and also congratulations too on the citizenship. Love to all, Anna xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katie, What would we do without the au pair program? Honestly, it changes so many lives when you think about it. I tell my au pair group all the time just how important they are. They are making important choices every day and making a difference a family's life and of course, their own lives too.
    Anna, didn't you have an amazing year that you carry in your your heart and mind forever? Thanks for your best wishes.

    ReplyDelete