Friday, July 9, 2010

Am I smarter than a 5th grader?


So last week was the 4th of July. The day Americans celebrate their Independence and I love to celebrate with my family. There is nothing better than hot dogs, burgers, melted marsh mellows and warm evenings filled with fireworks, friends and family. By next year I will be an American. I am finally becoming a citizen.

Earlier this week I went for my biometrics. Basically that means I was fingerprinted and had my mug shot taken. Wow, finger printing has come a long way. The last time I had it done they rolled my fingers along a black ink pad and onto cards now its all done on a huge scanner and it was over in seconds with clean hands intact.

As part of my naturalization I have to take a test. The first will be an English test and honestly, I don't think I'll have a problem with that unless they ask me to spell the words : colour or neighbourhood. I am pretty sure I will pass the English test with flying colors (see I can spell like an American). However, the one thing that scares me is the 100 questions on history and government.  The officer will pick 10 random questions from the list and you must answer at least 6 right in order to become an American citizen.

I looked through the booklet they gave me and honestly without studying I could answer at least 80% or 90%  right but knowing my luck I'll get the tough ones so I will study.  I wonder if regular American people would know the answers to some of these questions because have you ever seen Jay Leno's segment called Jay walking???  Jay goes to an Ivy league college and asks "who is the vice president?" and no one seems to know or even worse, he'll show them a photo of Obama and someone will proudly announce " I know who that guy is! Its Will Smith". I of course am rolling around laughing, its pretty entertaining but I cringe because I'm sure their parents are mortified.

So, I'm wondering.... am I smarter than a 5th grader?  I guess I'll find out by October. Are you smarter than a 5th grader? Take the test below and be honest when you leave me a comment on your score :)

http://constitutioncenter.org/naturalization-test/index.php

4 comments:

  1. Loved this post fellow brit! I scored 80% - not bad for a first try I thought. We'll apply for citizenship as soon as we can (4 years) - why did you leave it so long?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Louise, honestly the main reason why I left it so long was because it was a nightmare getting my greencard. Anything that could go wrong did and it ended up taking 4 years! My papers were lost and it just wasn't a good experience. This time has been much, much different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bloody hell! Took us 6 months but then that was company lawyers doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats really why I never wanted to deal with the INS again but my 10 year greencard is running out and its time :) It'll be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete