Wednesday, July 21, 2010

My new obsession


I have to admit, I avoided it for years but I have been bitten, completely smitten and totally obsessed with the Twilight saga. It was not easy to avoid as the whole world seemed to be 'team Edward' or 'team Jacob'. I was happy to ignore the whole craze and thought that it was a tween fad that would soon pass. Ooooohhhhh how wrong was I?

Vampire movies and books were the furthest  thing away from my cup of tea. I picked up the Twilight book a couple of summers ago and I must have read the first chapter at least 6 times. I kept putting it down and just couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. I had lugged that door stopper of a book all the way to Europe and back and still, it stay unread and there it sat, on my night stand for over a year.

Eclipse, the 3rd installment arrived in theaters. I would never have gone to see it , except my group of au pairs wanted to and honestly, I was looking forward to sitting in a dark air conditioned room, eating candy and having no one talking to me. It sounded like bliss! What a perfect evening! and I didn't care what was playing.

So, I left the theater intrigued. Yes, I had started the saga backwards but at least I had started it. Within 72 hours I had watched the first one lets underestimate and say at least 4 times. According to my husband he was tortured by being forced into watching it and then continued to ruin it for me by asking stupid questions like: why doesn't Edward sleep in a coffin? why are these vampires out during the day time? Is that dude really that good looking? Why does Bella's dad allow her to speak to him that way?  I laughed at the last question because obviously my husband is not prepared for our daughter to become a teenager, and if he thinks he's been tortured now, well then, just wait!

I then ordered the second one 'New Moon'  and figured I would enjoy the film more watching it with my daughter than husband - totally right choice.

I took the kids to the pool at the weekend in the blistering heat. Sure I put sunscreen on them and there I sat, in the pool with the book. Three hours later I hadn't moved, the kids were starving and begging to go home and I was a lovely shade of RED. Caution: twilight is bad for your health!

My obsession hit an all time high when I took the kids to see Toy story 3 and then tried to sneak them into Eclipse, just for a peek. My daughter freaked out and gave me a lecture on how it was illegal and ....... get this....... breaking a commandment. I should have felt proud, instead I all I felt was disappointment :(

I was very sure of my team choice until I finished the book yesterday. Yes I read the book in 4 days :)
Help!!!  I was so sure that Jacob was the man! (or boy) but now I am not so sure. Usually I know what I want. How can I not have this locked down?

Help me figure it out. Please convince me to be on a team.... leave your comments

13 comments:

  1. Wow now after reading this and seeing how hooked you got i think i am going to have to watch it now to see what all the fuss is about. Maybe i can rent it and watch it on my road trip next week while my hubby drives!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pic by the way. So r u you team Jacob??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm team...both. I want them both. If I think about it too much I'll explode. Your blog is super!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just looking at the photo again. It makes me happy :) Looking a little heftier than Bella but I'm sure that Jacob can whip me into shape if I stay with him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sabina!
    If you look just for the books you´ll definitely will be Edward's team! But in the movie he is so boring!! In the movie you'll be Jacob's team! So, it's better you be both! =)
    Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Hannah "breaking commandment" jibberish!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, pretty much the same happened to me. I watched Eclipse with a group of au pairs and other LCCs on the day of it's premiere. I had never heard about Twilight before then, I didn't even know it was about vampires. The movie was great and I was so fascinated that I went and purchased the other 2 movies within a couple of days. Now I can't wait for the next one to come out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm concerned here. I'm a concerned citizen with worries that I need to address. Some of it we've talked about - but I'm going to put it out there.

    It's one thing to lust over a 17 year old who is "really" 109 (happy birthday Edward, June 20th - information NOT known off the top of my head... thank you Google). It is an entirely different ball of judicial, ethical and personal wax to be lusting over a 17 year old. He's 17. Get your unmarked van and register yourself - because it's not right. He's a teenager, Mary Kay Letourneau. No matter how hot (temperature not appearance... sorry Charlie) you think he is.

    Speaking of Charlie - word on the street is there are some Team Charlie's out there. Why not? http://www.jennsylvania.com/jennsylvania/2010/07/neither-team-jacob-nor-team-edward.html

    Team Edward. End of story. Insert all the bumper sticker and t shirt tag lines here...

    I run with Vampires.
    Because dogs are meant for pets not soul mates.

    A friend of mine, who recently 'turned' (into a wild and crazy obsessed fan like yourself) said it best in our recent debrief on the situation.

    "I just don't trust team Jacob people. I don't want them in my life. It's like people who don't drink coffee or won't drink wine. I don't trust them. It's unnatural."

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK, so you made me feel like a dirty cougar ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Team Edward..how can you not be,,no doubt Jacob is a sight for sore eyes but Edward totally moves me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear - and there was me looking forward to spending the summer with you, I know you and your obsessions; you're going to bore me senseless about this Vampire business(in between listening to my niece reciting the Hail Mary by the sound of it!).
    If you can't beat them.... bring the books to Spain for me!!!
    xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. So funny - can't believe it took you until now Sabina. I'm team Jasper after New Moon - forget the other two - I love Jasper's Texan accent and his cute crooked smile - sigh

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know that there is a team Jasper out there but I just can't get past the constipated look on his face.
    I did want to address the look on my face in the photo. My sister was wondering why I was not smiling in Jacob's arms. Well, I am playing Bella , a tortured teen, who is torn between two lovers. Now would I really be smiling in Jacob's arms - sure of course I would!

    ReplyDelete