Thursday, July 29, 2010

Puppy love


We have been discussing getting a dog in our house for about 8 years. Well, they have have been discussing and I have been saying a big fat NO.  At first my reason was that we didn't have a fenced in yard, now we do. Then I spent years enduring difficult pregnancies and I said that it wasn't the right time. Everyone respected that one.
Alex was born in 2006 and I had my hands full, no time for a puppy I screamed! and they all agreed. That one really bought me some time. Now my excuses are getting lame..... the last one was 'I love my hard wood floors'.

Now my youngest is speaking ( thanks speech therapy!) He is able to cast his vote. I am seriously out numbered.

Its not that I don't like dogs. I do. I pet a pup at every opportunity. So for the last 6 months I have really been examining my fear of owning my very own pooch. Maybe its because everyone in the house is finally house broken and as much as everyone is promising that they will walk, feed, pet and pick up poop, I know that the responsibility will ultimately fall on me.

I have little No experience with dogs at all. So, in my true fashion I am busy reading up on different breeds, studying their size and temperament. God forbid I should do something on a whim or be unprepared!  Here's my other problem : my husband and I don't even agree on what kind of dog. What is it with guys they have to have the biggest dog in the world? Bigger isn't always necessarily better people!  I have to say that some good things come in small packages. Having said that I am not looking for a purse puppy either.

I have come to some conclusions though. I will rescue rather than buy. Some friends have shared some great rescue sites with me - thank you!. My ideal dog would be small to mid size, great with kids, low energy (yes, I did just admit that I want a lazy dog), short hair (less grooming) and of course ......cute.

I just loved the little puppy that I saw in the pet store. A mix of an English bulldog and beagle. So, all you dog lovers and experts out there please help me. What should I get, where should I get him and then the biggest question of all...... what shall I call him?


2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are going the rescue route - go and talk to the staff at the rescue centres, they are usually very knowledgeable about size, temperament etc. Also, my experience is that almost ALL the responsibility fell to me so insisted on a smaller dog (well we have two now)even though my husband too wanted a big dog. You would like my little older dog, she's veyr chilled out. Our puppy is bloody mad to be honest and FULL of energy - I'm hoping he'll calm down eventually. Oh and whe you get a puppy I can highly recommend crate training for potty training - saves those floors :)))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don´t do it!!!!!!

    Yes, he is cute - but what about Jasper the cat? Are we waiting for the same outcome as Harry Crumb the hamster?
    See you Wednesday! Can´t wait!
    xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete