Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Cinco de mayo or as I like to call it.... Cinco de Mario!


This was the best Cinco de mayo ever. Not that I have ever really celebrated the day before. For any one who doesn't know about this holiday, Cinco de Mayo (Spanish for "fifth of May") is a holiday held on May 5 that commemorates the Mexican army's unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza SeguĂ­n. The date is observed nationwide in the United States and other locations around the world as a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride. Cinco de Mayo is not Mexico's Independence Day. History lesson over. A lesson that I only learned today. Gotta love google!

So, why am I excited about this Mexican holiday? Apart from the fact that I love to celebrate as many international holidays as possible and some of my wonderful au pairs are from Mexico. I have a great passion for Cultural exchange but if truth be known it has more to do with Mario Lopez.

I noticed that Mario Lopez would be coming to do a book signing in my area. I loved him in 'saved by the bell'. Remember that high school sitcom in 1989? I spent evenings flicking the channel between saved by the bell, fresh prince of Bel-Air, the Cosbys and beavis and butthead.(yes I did just admit that) It was truely great viewing back then! My daughter is currently watching the saved by the bell re-runs and not Beavis or Butthead, thank Goodness. My son kept asking when is George Lopez coming. That did make me and the other ladies on line chuckle.

Now, have you seen Mario recently? When he played A.C Slater back in the day he was cute (A.C stands for absolutely charming) but now...... WOW. We recently drooled over him in 'Dancing with the stars', he hosts the miss America pageants, is a reporter for 'extra' and according to my friend Christine was unbelievably hot in a few episodes of 'Nip/tuck' So I dragged my kids to stand on line with a hundred other middle aged desperate housewives for a signed book. Sadly, I didn't care much about what the book consisted of but I will share with you that its a diet/health book that will probably gather dust on the same shelf as my weight watcher books, Dr Phil's weight loss challenge and the biggest loser cookbooks.

All in all it was a great evening. We met him, if only for a brief moment, took some pics, he signed the book to Hannah (which made her day) but most importantly my daughter and I made a memory of which I'm sure we will remember in years to come. I can be a cool mom after all.

Happy cinco de mario!

No comments:

Post a Comment