Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Cruising the au pair world for 16 years



One of my favorite things to do every year is chaperoning 500 au pairs on a disco cruise boat around Manhattan. Cultural Care Au Pair do an amazing job each and every year they host this event. Even though the route is the same I am reminded of things that I take for granted. I see the same sights, the same lights but I always feel like I'm seeing them for the first time.
The first time I set foot on the boat cruise was 1994.I was a 22 year old au pair. As the boat sailed past the statue of liberty everyone rushed to take photos with our 35 mm cameras. I do have this one photo of me and another au pair who's name escapes me. I did the very same thing last week. It was a perfect warm evening and the statue of liberty always creates such excitement. There I was snapping a photo on my phone.
Two things spring to mind. Look how far technology has come in 16 years. I took a picture and within minutes 600 of my facebook friends saw one of the most beautiful photos I had ever taken. I felt compelled to share it. In 1994 I had to wait to get the film developed and sent it by snail mail to my mum in England. The second thing was just how beautiful and amazing New York city really is.
I live only 25 minutes away in the suburbs but its almost like you forget that there's a whole city that never sleeps right on my doorstep. I am caught up in the kids schedules, girl scouts and every day soccer mom life style but yet there really is a 'sex in the city' life out there I'm just not often a part of it.
I walked back from the pier to grand central station (my feet were killing me)through Times square where I stood in awe as I always do. It doesn't matter how many times I see the lights of the city at night I still love the vibe.
I love the fact that my work allows me to share the experience and magic of NYC with these au pairs who years from now will remember that boat trip.
Here's to cruising New York city for years to come!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sabina - love the new blog and the photos! Don't you love taking a walk down memory lane? You look fabulous and I'm sure the au pairs had a great time at the disco cruise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the disco cruise sooo many years ago, what a fun night that was.

    ReplyDelete