Monday, May 3, 2010

The power of a mohawk


Alex sporting some hair height at 11 months



Who ever said that size doesn't matter?

Being vertically challenged myself ( 5 feet 0 inches short, when I stand up straight, in the morning whilst breathing in) Even then, my family are convinced that I am exaggerating and don't quite meet the 5 foot mark. I have always been short but you learn to compensate and use some tiny tricks to get by in this sizest world.

My son Alex, who has just turned 4 is learning very quickly that he might be more mature in mind than body and that he has been handed the short straw in the height department as he stands a petite 37 inches short. I know this because I take him to an endocrinologist on a very regular basis. So, just a few weeks before departing on a dream family vacation to Disney world he was measured. Now, most parents would have logged onto the Disney web site to learn of their restaurant choices, hotels and useful tips, I logged on to view the height requirements of the rides.

Here's my other issue. I also have a thrill seeking 11 year old daughter. I knew that juggling the two kids of different stature was going to pose a problem. So there I am viewing the 'family' rides we can all enjoy. Imagine my horror when I discovered that you have to be 38 inches to go on our favorite water ride!

Time to get creative!!! He needs just one inch. That's all. Yes, I could have added height with folded napkins in his sneakers, older kids can wear 'healys' (the sneakers with the wheels underneath adds a good 2 inches)but he's 4. Healys are not a good idea at this age! His regular sneakers add a half an inch so now all he needed was a half an inch.

Don't bother putting the mickey ears on the kids in the hope that they will add 6 inches, they will be asked to remove them :( So, for all you mommies out there with little boys......... I went with the somewhat fashionable, cute look that adds height. With some aaahhhhs from crowds of moms and grandma types...... consider THE MOHAWK.

With nothing more than a dime size blob of hair gel we were good to go. I held my breath as he stood up against the measuring stick as his spiked blond hair brushed against it. We let out a cheer, congratulated him on what a big boy he is, grinned from ear to ear and ran to join the line for the ride. Victory at Disney!

4 comments:

  1. LOVE it. Now here's the question... did he take his new do home with him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Summers coming and 'Playland' will open soon. Last year was heartbreaking. Heres the problem: he didn't make the height requirement to go on the kids rides alone, Hannah tried to take him on but they wouldn't let her because she is not an adult. So I had to take him on some and there are very few adult & child rides anyway. What he wanted more than anything was to go on that little boat that goes around and ring the bell. What a disaster! I avoided the place like the plague after that episode but with an extra year, some extra hair height I think we'll be good this summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sabina this was such a wonderful blog =) I think taking your children to Disneyworld is such a wonderful gift - and I say that from going as a child myself, and again this year! Awesome job using some creative thinking to make sure Alex gets to experience the joys of Disney and make some beautiful life long memories! Miss you lots, the best LCC in Westchester xxx Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is just toooo funny! And very creative!

    ReplyDelete